Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Rest of the Story

(Continued from yesterday...)


 (New prototypes for fabric flowers...)

I spent Sunday in bed, taking medication that helps ease the anxiety and allows my mind to rest as well.

This episode felt, to me, like I imagine the ‘fight or flight’ response feels (‘fight or flight’ is the response our body produces when it feels threatened). It’s like my subconscious mind sensed some threat that was not apparent to my conscious mind. I’d had anxiety attacks before but it had usually been under some specific duress. I never, ever saw this one coming.

In general, anxiety attacks feel, if you can imagine, like you’re a car in neutral gear with the gas pedal pressed to the floor. It’s like you have this adrenaline rush and yet no energy to expend it. The best thing for me to do is limit input – sound, especially – and try to let my mind and body relax so the adrenaline disperses. Although I may look fairly normal on the outside, my inside is crawling.

I debated about whether to write these blog entries. This is my business blog so I leaned toward skipping any details. On the other hand, I’d like to be transparent as a small business owner, to be real about stresses and setbacks.

There was no Antique Market for Industrial Country last Sunday. That’s not to say there isn’t an Antique or Flea Market in the future – just not the immediate future. Industrial Country has already faced a challenge, a completely unexpected one, but this challenge is a fork in the road rather than the end of it. 


 (Completed Rosettes, front and back)

So I’ll take the business in a new direction, to the Etsy marketplace first with who knows what next: a storefront...sales assistants...a co-op space? I have no idea, as usual, but with my creative (and sometimes anxious) mind, I’m sure I’ll be able to figure it out.

I hope you’ll stay with me. The ride may be bumpy at times but, hopefully, never boring.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle,
    It has been many years since I last saw you. I am following your blog because, like you, I have an affinity for vintage, rust, the dented and discarded. You have an amazing eye for the potential and possibilities for old oddball items and the unique talent to know just what creative touches will give them a new life. You're also a very good and honest writer. It takes grit to talk about our setbacks and hurdles. I admire you for that. I think you have every ingredient needed to make Industrial Country a success. And success has many definitions. It could be a complete success simply if it brings you joy. I know you'll bring others joy with your craftiness, honesty, and attention to every detail. Just reading your blog and viewing your photos makes me happy. Wherever you choose to take your treasures and talents next, I'll be rooting for you.
    Melissa (Susan's sister)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mit,

      I know it's been forever since we've seen one another but I'm so happy that you're enjoying my blog. Your comment is the best, ever...so encouraging, thank you! I'm going to keep making a go of this and 'keeping it real' so I hope you hang in with me. And I know you're not that far away - we should go picking together some time...my hot spots and your wheels? ;)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a plan! I will save my pennies. But I must warn you, if I ever make it to your house I am STEALING that red locker set!
    Mit

    ReplyDelete